Skin problems are common in pets, and there are many possible causes for such issues. These include infections, parasites, or sometimes stress. If your pet is excessively licking or scratching, it may be likely that a skin issue is the root cause.
Symptoms of Veterinary Dermatological Issues
It is vital to address skin problems quickly so that they do not become worse. There are a few common symptoms to look for that may be indicators of a problem. If your pet shows any of these symptoms, you should take them to see a veterinarian:
- Excessive licking, chewing, or itching
- Bleeding, rashes, scabs, redness, discoloration, or skin inflammation
- Hair loss or bald patches
- Lumps or swelling
- Rubbing against furniture, particularly the face in an excessive manner
Causes of Pet Skin Issues
Dermatology issues in your four-legged companion can have many causes. The following are also possible causes of skin issues:
- Fleas, ticks, ringworm, or other parasites
- Seasonal changes
- Reactions to skin products, possibly from grooming
- Wound-related or bacterial infections
- Hormone or metabolism abnormalities
Diagnosis and Treatment
At each life-stage checkup for your pet, we perform a thorough examination from head to tail. This exam includes checking for any surfacing skin problems. Parasite control and blood work can be a part of this process.
If we detect skin problems and diagnose the root cause of discomfort, we will establish and discuss with you a proper course of treatment. You can rest assured that any treatment will be tailored specially to your companion’s specific needs. We will do everything we can to get them feeling happy and healthy again.
If you suspect your furry friend is suffering from a skin irritation problem, we can help. To set up an appointment or for more information, give us a call today.